Dairy-free Creamy Kohlrabi Soup
(makes about 1L, cheap, full of vitamins, low calorie recipe)
I’ll let you into a little secret you can make soup creamy without using cream, all you need is a blender and a secret ingredient you’ve probably got in the freezer already – frozen sweetcorn! But sweetcorn is not the star of this soup, that very odd looking green ball in the picture is! This week’s veggie box contained an interesting addition in the shape of the funny looking kohlrabi also known as the german turnip or turnip cabbage! Its a brassica, so member of the cabbage family but tastes something like the inside of a brocoli stalk but a little bit like mild swede – or if you are Daddy Peacock ‘Like a nice one of those horrible things you like, you know aubergines!’
The Kohlrabi is popular in Eastern Europe and Germany and will apparently grow fairly reliably here in the UK. It might look odd but its very versatile with both bulb and stems being edible; it can be used raw in salads, steamed, stir fried, roasted and mashed. Thekitchn.com
has a really nice selection of recipes. Kohlrabi also gets a thumbs up from me because is packed with somewhere between 75-100% of your daily vitamin C dose per 100g (depending on what you read!), some potassium, Vitamin B-6 and small amounts of calcium and iron. We will definitely be adding Kohlrabi to our veggie box again when its in season!
This soup is thick and creamy (and vegan if you leave out the bacon!) but not too heavy so perfect for a wet, slightly cold summer’s day. The addition of the chilli gives it a nice kick obviously if you like more heat add more chillies, less and don’t add them at all! The Peachicks absolutely loved this soup! It would be really nice stuck in a thermos and taken out with some bread for a drizzly day or winter picnic too!
|Medium Kohlrabi (450g)
||4 small carrots (150g)
|1 red onion (sliced)
||250g potatoes (about 6 baby potatoes)
|1 red chilli (finely chopped)
||handful of carrot tops
|2 garlic cloves
||100ml Oat milk
|4 slices of bacon
||handful of frozen sweetcorn
1. Cut the bacon into small squares and fry for about a minute, add the garlic, onion and chilli and fry until the onions are soft. You might need to add a drizzle of oil depending how much fat comes out of the bacon or if you drain it off before adding the onions.
2. Add the vegetable chunks (carrot, kohlrabi, potato) and sautee for a few mins.
3. Pour over enough cold water (or vegetable stock) to just cover the vegetables. Lid on and simmer for 25-30mins over a low heat until the vegetables are soft. Keep an eye on it as you may need to add a little bit more halfway through
4. Add in the oat milk, sweetcorn and finely chopped carrot tops and simmer for another minute or two.
5. Allow the soup to cool slightly before blending to the desired consistency.
6. Serve with some homemade crusty bread… I just used the dough setting on the bread machine and wholemeal seeded load recipe from the recipe book that came with it and then baked it for around 45mins in a loaf tin at 200C.
Technorati Tags: Weird Veg,Kohlrabi,Soup,Dairy free,Cheap Easy & Speedy Food,Soya free,Gluten Free (with adaptation),Carrots,Onions,chilli,Creamy Soup,Potatoes,Great for lunch