Hot cross buns might be a more traditional Easter treat but for those of us who are dairyfree, eggfree and are allergic to oranges they are a bit of a bust! These Vegan Apple & Cinnamon Scones have the flavours of hot cross buns and have the advantage of being much quicker to make. If you are quite organised they can be ingredients to plate in less than 30minutes! They are also vegan, being made with dairyfree margarine & milk alternative BUT you can just substitute cows milk and butter 1:1 for them.
You may have noticed a few recipes for scones on here, they are one of my favourite things to make and I’d like to think over the years I have perfected the finer details. Although they are not difficult to make there are a few golden rules to ensure the lightest, fluffliest scones possible! As they are easy to make scones are a great way to introduce children to baking and you can read Alys’ top tips for making them (and her recipe for coconut and lime scones) here.
These scones are lovely and very seasonal with the ground cinnamon. They also have a very yummy spiced sugar crust that makes them just a bit more special for Easter! I honestly think that scones should be the next big food trend, move over meringues, macarons & marshmallows – scones are endlessly variable as the basic recipe is so forgiving!
These would make a very lovely present for anyone at Easter or part of a special Afternoon Tea with family and friends! As I think I have said before the original recipe for these scones comes from a Homepride Baking book out of my recipe book collection. Its a fairly old book but lets be honest if you find a reliable recipe does it really matter how old it is?!
Here is the scones next to the original recipe in my beloved recipe book!!
200g Self Raising Flour
25g Dairy Free Margarine
25g Granulated Sugar
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 small apple (chopped)
125ml Koko Dairy Free
FOR THE GLAZE: Mix 1tbsp sugar and 1/4tsp ground cinnamon.
I cook scones on a preheated pizza stone in a fan oven but a floured baking tray will work just as well – they may just need a few extra minutes!
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Weigh the flour into a mixing bowl and add the ground cinnamon before mixing.
- Next add the dairy free margarine to the flour mixture and rub together with you fingertips until you have a breadcrumb like mixture.
- Next add the sugar, sultanas & chopped apple before stirring until fully combined.
- In a separate jug measure out the dairy free milk and add to the dry ingredients
- Now for the messy bit – either use a spoon or you hands – its up to you! Gently stir together all the ingredients until a soft dough is formed. Turn out onto a floured board and gently knead in more flour if its very sticky.
- Roll or squash the dough flat and using a floured straight sided cutter cut out the scones. Push the cut straight down and DO NOT twist it!! I roll the dough out to about an inch and a half thick.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the scones with a little more dairy free milk and sprinkle over the cinnamon sugar mix.
- Spread out on a floured baking tray and bake for about 20mins – the actual timings will depend on the diameter and thickness of the scones!
And here they are my apple & cinnamon scones with sultanas and a crunchy cinnamon sugar glaze! You will literally never know they are vegan!
If you fancy trying these (or any of our other scone recipes) then have a go and send us a picture!!
Here’s our other scone recipes…
If you have enjoyed reading the Peachicks (& me!) would love a nomination in the food category!
I am going to send these over to Emma at the Free from Farmhouse for #Freefromfridays later in the week! As well as Charlotte at Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen for #FoodYearLinkUp and March’s Tea Time Treats (Easter) over at Lavender & Lovage and The HedgeCombers! As well as Recipe of the Week at A Mummy Too & BloggerClubUK hosted by Mudpie Fridays & Cuddle Fairy.