Seasonal Recipes: Vegan Pumpkin & Carrot Cake (Eggfree, Glutenfree)
This Vegan Pumpkin & Carrot Cake is packed full of beautiful seasonal produce. Soft sponge combined with the gentle warmth of ginger and a luxurious cream cheese frosting all topped off with crushed pistachios and a salted caramel sauce… Pumpkins are definitely for more than just pie! AND no-one will believe that it is completely dairyfree, eggfree & glutenfree!
We love pumpkin in this house, it has such a lovely flavour. It’s quite sweet but works well in so many different dishes. Pumpkins are definitely for more than just halloween carving and making pie! Whether you roast then mash or just gently steam the flesh, the puree is a great winter staple. I freeze in batches and use it through the year when fresh veggies are a little sparse on the allotment. The natural sweetness is perfect for your curry or chilli base especially if you are trying to avoid tomatoes… Just add a ladle or two full to Daddy Peacock’s Chilli recipe instead of tinned tomatoes. I also like to use it to thicken dairyfree, macaroni cheese sauce and add extra hidden veggies too. Or for those chocolate lovers amongst you try this Vegan Double Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies, they are just divine!
We haven’t really ever had the room to grow pumpkins before. We tried it last year in the garden with some success but The Peachicks have dreams of growing giant ones, so when we got No17 the first thing they did was set aside a bed for a pumpkin patch! Happily with a little TLC, some leaf stroking and a good dose of fresh manure, The Peachicks grew two huge pumpkins this year…
With all the effort that went into growing them it was only fitting that we use them for extra special recipes. The pumpkin brownies were amazing but this Vegan Pumpkin & Carrot Cake was even better! The sweet pumpkin and warming ginger are just a match made in heaven and when you add in the crunchy pistachios, salted caramel sauce and slightly sour cream cheese frosting…. YUM! Honestly, the only thing to do is cut a giant wedge, pour a pot of tea and go and hide under a blanket with a good book & great view! (or more likely, eat it as quickly as possible while fending off cake-greedy, Peachicks with forks!)
Pistachios are just so pretty aren’t they? Although they always remind me of Christmas and all the delicious eggfree biscotti I have to make for teacher presents! (well ok and myself!) Oooh and you know what goes really well with biscotti? Coffee!! Hubby & I got a real treat this week when we spent an evening at The Winchester Coffee School, trying out their new coffee blend which has been specifically designed for dairyfree milk. (Best coconut cappucino I have ever had!!) Excitingly, not only do they run barista courses from the school but they also have a cafe open at the weekend. The best thing about the cafe? They have a whole fridge shelf full of dairyfree milks so even The Peachicks can go and have a hot chocolate!! We are planning to pop in and try out the cafe in a couple of weeks & you can read more about our evening soon but until then check out my Instagram for a sneak peak…
Recipe for Vegan Pumpkin & Carrot Cake (Glutenfree)
Vegan Pumpkin & Carrot Cake (Glutenfree, Eggfree)
- 100 g Brown Sugar
- 100 g Vegetable Oil
- 200 g Pumpkin Puree
- 100 g Grated Carrot About 1 large carrot
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 50 g Sultanas
- 50 g chopped pistachios (reserve half for topping)
- 2 tbsp whole chia seeds
- 225 g Self Raising Flour Glutenfree or Wheat
- 25 g Ground Almonds
- 50 ml Dairyfree Milk Alternative
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 50 g Vegan Cream Cheese (At Room Temperature)) Violife
- 50 g Dairyfree Margarine (At Room Temperature)
- 250 g Icing Sugar
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 160C fan. Grease then line the bottom and sides of a tall 6inch round cake tin.
- Into a large bowl beat together the oil, sugar, pumpkin puree and ground ginger.
- Next fold in the carrots, sultanas, whole chia seeds and half the pistachios.
- Once combined mix the ground almond and flour together before folding into the mixture alongside small amounts of milk until all mixed together.
- Pour into cake tin and bake for 45-50mins. If the sultanas or cake start to look a bit dark but the cake is still not done, cover loosely with greaseproof paper and bake for an addition 10-15minutes.
- Leave to cool completely before slicing in half and filling.
For the Frosting
- It is so important that the cream cheese and margarine are both at room temperature before you make this frosting. Otherwise the mixture will split and go grainy. Although it wont affect the flavour it wont look as pretty!
- Beat together the cream cheese & Margarine. Then pour in half the icing sugar and beat again until combined. Finally beat in the remaining icing sugar and smother inside and over the top of the cake!
- Sprinkle over the rest of crushed pistachios and if you want add my salted caramel sauce (from the popcorn cupcakes!)
- Sprinkle of sea salt
And don’t forget to save this recipe …..
Pin Vegan Pumpkin & Carrot Cake (Glutenfree) for Later: