Chewy Apple & Sultana Flapjacks (Dairy free, Vegan)
These Chewy Apple & Sultana Flapjacks are a firm family favourite. Dairy free, vegan and perfect for picnics, lunchboxes or just an afternoon pick me up with a cup of tea! They are just as good with tinned apples or fresh, whatever you have lying around!
Flapjacks are a great favourite around here. Although the debate over whether they are a cake or a biscuit is still raging in this house, we all agree how yummy they are! And whilst I am not sure they are the healthiest snack, they are a great source of energy for a Peachick when you are marching them around the New Forest, recreating Elsa’s Ice Palace on the beach or putting them to work on the allotment! They do have a load of sugar in them (before you even count in the granulated sugar), thanks to the apple, sultanas, golden syrup and oats but with a few swaps (stevia, sweeteners, sweet freedom) you could reduce at least some of it!
This is a basic recipe with which you can tinker as much as you want. For added nutrition nuts and seeds are great, although obviously not for school lunchboxes or for those with nut allergies. A small amount of cocoa powder or coffee is nice for a more grown up flapjack or for those with a sweet tooth a rocky road version is always a winner! Personally, my favourite is adding cocoa powder and replacing the sultanas and apples with glace cherries… definitely a must try!
I have altered the recipe as the original Apple & Sultana Flapjacks are full of tinned apple. Being that we are currently in the middle of the Cornish countryside and we only have fresh apples, that is what these were made with! The sultanas can be replaced by mixed fruit but as this usually has orange peel in we steer well clear of it!
Recipe for Chewy Apple & Sultana Flapjacks:
Chewy Apple & Sultana Flapjacks (Vegan & Dairy free)
- 100 g Dairyfree margarine (vitalite, pure)
- 50 ml Vegetable Oil
- 50 g Golden Syrup
- 150 g Granulated sugar
- 1 Apple (or half a tin of apple pieces) (cut into chunks)
- 120 g Sultanas
- 500 g Porridge Oats
- Preheat oven to 180 C and prepare the pan that you are using with a light spray of cooking spray or lining with silicone baking sheet.This recipe will fill a rectangular tray bake pan - I use two 7inch square silicon ones because they need greasing. Also if I make two batches I find I am more likely to have some leftover for lunchboxes!
- Into a large saucepan, weigh out the dairyfree margarine, oil, sugar and golden syrup. Gently heat until the sugar has melted.
- Add the oats, sultanas and chopped apple, to the saucepan of melted, syrupy ingredients. Stir until the dry ingredients are combined and coated.
- Spread out into the baking tin and press down firmly, making sure it reaches the corners.
- Bake at 180 C for 20-25mins until golden brown. (The flapjacks will looked undercooked – DO NOT panic they will firm up as they cool in the tin)
- Cut into portions and leave in the tins to cool completely or as long as you can wait (still just warm in this house!)