Seasonal Recipes: Asparagus & Pea Spring Salad with Vegan Cheesy Toasts
Asparagus & Pea Spring Salad with Vegan Cheesy Toasts, an elegant lunch or easy to prepare starter for any occasion! Delicate Asparagus spears, fresh peas and crisp red onion are treated to a light drizzle of oil before being piled high on a slice of crunchy vegan cheesy toast! Dairy free, Gluten free & Suitable for vegans so a great option for catering for all dietary requests. Delicious and all ready in the time it takes to make a slice of cheese on toast!
This dish uses both the stalks and the spears of the asparagus. The stalks can be a bit tougher so they are sliced and sauteed gently with the garlic for a minute or so before the spears are added. I add the peas in at the last minute and turn the heat off because it keeps them slightly crunchier and that is how I prefer to eat them. It is also really nice if you mash the peas and asparagus stalks together and use it as a spread for the toasts! It would also be amazing with some fresh mint in it but as we have only just moved it to the allotment, I am holding off picking it for a couple of weeks to let it settle in.
And here it is our final crop of asparagus for the season from No17. We have been truly lucky to inherit this established bed and although the season is short, it has been a very good one. So for now we will let the ferns grow and the crowns replenish themselves, hopefully for another good harvest next year! Don’t forget if you fancy starting your own Asparagus bed or are looking for more inspiration to enjoy this seasonal delight then hop over and check out the latest Peachicks @No17 post. Top Tips for Growing & Cooking Asparagus is full of advice for establishing and caring for your own bed as well as some gorgeous recipes from our Foodie Friends!
Our little Allotment, No17, has definitely been a much needed oasis of calm in what has been a crazy few weeks. Hubby’s ankle has been bad and I’ve been having really random reactions to things lately. Millie has been working really hard doing her end of year 2 sats or ‘special books’ and the other two have been spreading their usual brand of crazy! Coming up later in the week I will post the third allotment diaries post sharing how we set up No17 and then a catch up one so you can see what we have growing so far! There is some very lovely looking red cabbage plants coming up but sadly the sweetcorn hasn’t amounted to anything.
Recipe for Asparagus & Pea Spring Salad with Vegan Cheesy Toasts:
I prefer red onion in this dish for both colour and flavour but watch out sometimes even the red ones can be a bit strong raw! Once the onions are finely sliced, try a small bit of one. If it is really bitter and too strong to eat, place it in a sieve over a bowl with a sprinkle of salt. Set aside for 20mins before rinsing in really cold water. All the bitter juice will have been taken out, leaving you with crisp, sweet onion slices!
Asparagus & Pea Spring Salad with Vegan Cheesy Toasts
- 8 Asparagus Spears & Stems
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic finely diced or grated
- 1 tsp Olive OIl
- 1 tsp Dairyfree Margarine
- 100 g Frozen Petit Pois or Garden Peas
- Salt & Black Pepper Optional
- 30 g Vegan Parmesan grated
- 2 Slices Wholemeal Bread Glutenfree if needed
- Start with the onion. Remove the skin and slice in half. Place each onion half flat side down and finely slice so you get paper thin rainbow ribbons. Separate the onion ribbons into a sieve before sprinkling lightly with salt. Set aside while you cook the asparagus and peas and rinse in cold water before serving.
- *Depending on the onion you can often leave this step out but it will remove any bitterness and tame any particularly strong onions. If the Peachicks are eating then I always salt and rinse any onions we are eating raw.
- Next prepare the Asparagus. Take each spear and slice off the tips about 4 inches from the top. Set aside. Slice what remains of the spears about 1cm thick. I have done it on a slight bias just because it makes it look pretty!
- Add a small drizzle of Olive Oil to a non-stick frying pan and gently heat the garlic slices. Toss in the Asparagus slices and peas and stir for 2minutes. Add a couple of tablespoons of water before laying the Asparagus tips on top and allow to cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Then make the toasts. Preheat the grill to medium and gently toast the first side of the bread. You want it to be just slightly crunchier than warm bread. Turn the slices over and brush each with a little Olive Oil before sprinkling with salt and black pepper. Cover each slice with the grated cheese and place back under the grill under the toast is crisp.
- Finally Assemble the dish. Place the Vegan Cheesy Toasts on a plate. Layer with the dressed pea and asparagus stems. Pile on the crunchy red onion ribbons and finally arrange the asparagus tips on top.
- Finish with some vegan parmesan shavings and find a quiet sunny spot to enjoy!
Pin Asparagus & Pea Spring Salad with Vegan Cheesy Toasts for Later:
Linky Love for Asparagus & Pea Spring Salad with Vegan Cheesy Toasts:
#FreefromFridays with Emma & Mel!