Cranberry, Hazelnut & Dark Chocolate Vegan Biscotti
Crisp, crunchy & full of flavour these Cranberry Hazelnut & Dark Chocolate Vegan Biscotti are really tasty and perfect with a nice strong coffee. A great dairyfree, eggfree alternative for everyone who has been missing biscotti! You’ll never be able to tell the difference!
If there are any left, these little Biscotti will store for a couple of weeks in an airtight container or make really pretty handmade gifts for all coffee lovers! Anyone who followers either the Peachicks’ Bakery on Twitter and/or Instagram may have noticed I am a teeny-tiny bit of a coffee fan and so discovering that our local Starbucks stocks coconut milk was possibly one of the most exciting things to have happened in the last couple of weeks which I must admit have not been the best!
This little corner of the web has been very quiet lately after I managed to simultaneously break both myself and my car; a tyre blowout (thankfully low speed) in the pouring rain whilst driving round a roundabout resulted in Roxy spinning backwards into a post!
Thankfully the damage in both cases was fairly minor and the Peachicks were safely at Pre-school and school when it happened. Between sorting the paperwork for that, trying to catch up at work and having a full week off with the Peachicks at halfterm I haven’t really had time to do any blogging but when I was given a batch of lovely biscotti at work I had to squeeze time in to find an egg & dairy free version!
On their own these Vegan Biscotti are hard and crunchy but dunk them in coffee and they instantly transform into beautiful soft and chewy afternoon treats! Personally I prefer my coffee fairly dark, strong and bitter so these biscotti are not overly sweet and the slightly sour cranberries work perfectly with the flavour of the bitter dark chocolate and savoury hazelnuts!
Biscotti are traditionally flavoured with almonds but any combination of dried fruit and nuts of your choice can be used, as we speak I am contemplating a blueberry, lemon and almond version! As for toppings the possibilities are endless. If giving as handmade gifts these would be lovely dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with chopped nuts but as these are just for our Saturday morning coffee (and the Peachicks are all over the kitchen trying to eat them!) I have just dusted them with some icing sugar!
Recipe for Cranberry Hazelnut & Dark Chocolate Vegan Biscotti:
So here goes – the recipe. I should add that these biscotti are really easy to make but patience is the key, to get the clean slices you need to let the logs cool before slicing.
Cranberry Hazelnut & Dark Chocolate Vegan Biscotti (Vegan & Soyafree)
- 75 g Dairyfree Margarine Pure, Vitalite or similar
- 175 g Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda)
- 100 g Dried Cranberries
- 100 g Hazelnuts Halved
- 50 g Dark Chocolate Chopped into large chunks.
- 50 ml Dairyfree Milk Alternative Koko, Soya, Hazelnut or similar
- 150 g Plain Flour
- 200 g Self Raising Flour Plus a little extra for dusting
Equipment you will need:
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Shallow Baking Tray (lined with greaseproof paper)
- Greaseproof Paper
- Measuring Spoons & Jug
- Preheat the oven to 170C fan and line a shallow baking tray with greaseproof paper. You can lightly grease the baking tray to help the paper stick to it.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the dairyfree margarine together with the sugar. Similar to making a sponge cake, the mixture should be light and fluffy, although with the brown sugar it will have a light golden colour to it.
- Add the golden syrup, baking soda and sunflower oil and stir in completely.
- Into the bowl add the dried cranberries, hazelnuts and chocolate chunks and stir through the mixture. Next pour in both the flours and the dairyfree milk.
- GENTLY fold the flour into the mixture to make a soft dough before tipping out onto a lighttly floured surface and forming into 2 oblong shapes of equal size.
- Place the oblongs onto greaseproof paper and bake for 35-45mins until a crust forms and the middle has set. Allow to cool (about 10mins) before slicing with a serrated knife into slices about 1.5inches thick.
- Arrange back on the tray lying on their sides and return to the oven for another 10mins on each side, they will crisp up as they cool.
- These are lovely on their own or with a light dusting of icing sugar. If you are giving as a gift or want something a bit special then leave them to cool completely and they can be dipped into melted chocolate and sprinkled with some extra chopped nuts OR drizzled with some glace icing!
Pin Cranberry Hazelnut & Dark Chocolate Vegan Biscotti for Later:
I have added these to a couple of linkies, including #FreefromFridays at the Freefrom Farmhouse, Sunday Food & Fitness Link-Up over at Marathons & Motivations and #Cookblogshare this week hosted by Snap Happy Bakes.