Vegan Christmas Cake Biscotti (Dairyfree, Soyfree, Eggfree)
My Vegan Christmas Cake Biscotti Recipe, can be made in advance and kept in pretty cellophane bags ready to hand out (also makes lovely goodie bags!) These have all the flavours of Christmas Cake in a yummy, dunkable biscotti filled with cranberries, dark chocolate chunks and brazil nuts then topped with white chocolate drizzle and grated lemon zest!
Christmas is a great time of year but with all those extra presents to sort out for the kids teachers, friends and other randoms, handmade gifts are an ever popular idea. My best advice is something that can be made in bulk, in advance and with extra ingredients that can be changed depending on what is in your cupboard! And here it is – my Essential Vegan Christmas Cake Biscotti Recipe, can be made in advance and kept in pretty cellophane bags ready to hand out (also makes lovely goodie bags!) My standard xmas hamper usually consists of some handmade chocolate bark, fudge and biscotti or christmas cupcake. This year Hubby took some goodie bags to his work do full of cinnamon spiced popcorn, Chocolate mint fudge, handmade cherry truffles (with liquid cherry centre) and these Vegan Christmas Cake Biscotti!
I *may* be eating some right now!
So onto the Biscotti. The recipe is just a guideline, the spices can be left out or switched for lemon thyme, vanilla, instant coffee. The same is true for the dried ingredients, experiment with whichever you like, apricots, dates, citrus peel and blueberries all work well and leave the nuts out or replace with bits of toffee for a nutfree version! Actually lemon, blueberries and lemon thyme biscotti sound yum!
I love the additon of the dried cranberries in here, they are very christmassy! You can even get them that are flavoured with pomegrante juice which would be even better. Feel free to switch out the dark chocolate for your favourite dairyfree white or milk if you prefer. Although a soyfree dairyfree white chocolate is hard to find!
It is very tempting to cut these into slices before they have cooled completely… DONT! You will end up with a squidgy mess as these are quite soft when hot! And definitely wait until they are cool to drizzle over the white chocolate. Line all the biscotti up on a silicone mat and either do them individually or one at a time. It is easier to put the white chocolate in a piping bag and snip off a small corner for a delicate line. Sprinkle over the lemon zest while the chocolate is still setting and it will stick – no lemon zest confetti on your best christmas jumper!!
Recipe for Vegan Christmas Cake Biscotti:
Essential Vegan Christmas Cake Biscotti
- 75 g Dairyfree margarine Vitalite, Pure etc
- 175 g Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 2 tbsp Sunflower or Vegetable Oil
- 30 g Dried Cranberries
- 30 g Sultanas or raisins
- 30 g Brazil nuts roughly chopped
- 30 g Glace Cherries Quartered
- 50 g Vegan Dark Chocolate chunks Moo Free, Montezumas etc
- 150 g Plain Flour
- 200 g Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Ground Chia Seeds mix into flour
- 20 ml lemon Juice about half a lemon
- 30 ml Dairyfree Milk Koko, Almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 160C and line a baking tray with silicone sheet or greaseproof paper.
- In a small bowl mix the dried fruit, chocolate and nuts together with the ginger, cinnamon and a tablespoon of the flour. Set aside for later.
- Next in a large mixing bowl cream the butter, sugar, vegetable oil and golden syrup together until pale and fluffy. It probably wont look like it has gone pale as the brown sugar and golden syrup will make it a darker colour.
- Into the butter & sugar, fold the mixed dried ingredients, flour/chia seed mix and milk and lemon juice until it begins to form a dough.
- At this point tip out onto a board and knead together into a ball. Separate into two equal sausage shapes about 5-6inches long and lay next to each other on the baking tray.
- Bake for 35mins until golden brown on top. The sausages will still be squidgy so set aside somewhere until cooled.
- Once cooled, use a serrated knife to gently slice across each sausage into Biscotti about an inch thick. You can do this on a slight angle which makes them look even prettier!
- Spread the sliced Biscotti out onto the tray, lie then on their sides and cook for another 10mins. Flip over onto the other side and bake for a further 10mins. Watch the fruit doesn't burn, if it looks like it is then cover with a bit of foil or turn the oven down.
- Allow to cool completely and drizzle with melted white chocolate before sprinkling on lemon zest. For an extra sparkly festive decoration you could add some little snowflake decorations, chopped praline or popping candy!
- Put in pretty cellophane bags or little gift boxes and make someone happy!
Pin for Vegan Christmas Cake Biscotti Later:
I do love a good Linky so here’s the list of all the ones I have added these to!
And I will be adding these to the Holiday Foodie Linky over at Cuddle Fairy and One Yummy Mummy too!
Other Christmas Recipes:
And if you are looking for more Christmas inspiration then look no further… More great biscotti recipes, a yummy freefrom dessert and quick & easy party food for a safe & happy Festive season!
In Other News… (Dec 2016)
So you may have read the other day that I am taking a bit of a break from posting recipes on The Peachicks’ Bakery. I have been quite poorly recently and have been snowed under with work too, I feel like everything is getting on top of me so I have decided that I will be going into a ‘blogging hibernation’ to spend some time with the Peachicks and catch up with friends and family I have neglected a bit recently. I have no planned date to return although I am thinking around February half term, after Christmas and my birthday. Don’t worry though I am still planning to post all the Peachick Adventures on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter – I suspect a few recipes may sneak their way in too – so I am not disappearing altogether and there are loads of lovely recipes on here to keep you going until then!
All that is left for me to say is hope you all enjoy great, safe Freefrom Festivities and we will see you in the Spring!