Perfect for Picnics: Olive & Lemon Savoury Snack Crackers (Dairyfree, Eggfree & Vegan)
These delicate Olive & Lemon Savoury Snack Crackers are Dairyfree & suitable for Vegans. Flaky, crumbly crackers full of delicious green olives, lemon zest and a subtle hint of sour pickle juice make them the perfect partners for your favourite dairyfree cheese or smashed avocado!
These are so quick to make, the longest part of the process is leaving the dough to rest for 30mins, and I can often be found baking a batch of these on a Sunday for lunchboxes. Alys enjoys these sandwiched with a big dollop of soft, sharp goats cheese and sweet chilli sauce. Napkins definitely required for that one! The other two Peachicks can’t yet tolerate goats cheese so its Violife Cream Cheese or smashed avocado for them. Although I don’t sandwich the avo ones, instead I put it in a pot so they can dip in it. Hummus is also good for dipping if you can tolerate chickpeas & sesame.
For those of you with sesame allergies this Sesame Free Hummus from FreeFromFarmhouse is def worth a lookie!
These would also be very nice to serve as a starter with my Asparagus & Pea Spring Salad. Just smash the peas gently and pile the asparagus and (vegan) parmesan* shavings on top! YUM! They are also really good with a slice of violife cheese and a big old dollop of apple & onion chutney. We did very much enjoy a batch of these half way through a soggy day’s digging and planting up on the allotment at the weekend! Speaking of No17, we have been very busy sowing and planting up our salad & squash bed so look out for a new Peachicks @No17 coming soon!
*If you have an egg allergy but tolerate cows milk – check the Parmesan ingredients as eggs are often used in it. Alternatively just use a vegan substitute! We love the Violife one as its soyfree too.
Its half term this week so me and The Peachicks will no doubt be whipping up several batches of these yummy crackers across the week. But today we are having a duvet day in our pj’s, on the first day of sunshine all holidays! As lovely as it is outside, The Peachicks are shattered and so we’ve been chilling out watching films all day. As Daddy is working late tonight we are planning a wander and picnic tea at No17 tonight but it very much depends on my sleepy pj’d Peachicks! Currently they are watching Madagascar and I have been ordered to make a cake, so now I’ve hit publish… I’ll be in the kitchen!!
The basic dough for these Olive & Lemon Savoury Snack Crackers is 50% wholemeal and made from just 3 ingredients (flour, baking block & water). You can also use all plain flour but I like to sneak wholewheat into the Peachicks wherever I can! Best of all these can be flavoured anyway you want – so go get creative – I believe a chocolate chilli version has been mentioned! We’d love to see your favourite flavour combinations too, just tag @Peachicksbakery on Instagram!
Other lovely Peachicks’ Bakery Lemon recipes:
Vegan Lemon Drizzle Cake – a good option for when you just want a quick fix of lemon cake
Lemon & Raspberry Vegan Scones – Something a bit different for afternoon tea!
Glutenfree, Vegan Lemon & Elderflower Mini Cakes – For an elegant party
Vegan Lemon & Blueberry Muffins – A great zesty breakfast option!
Vegan Lemon & Raspberry Cake – with a hidden raspberry surprise
Recipe for Olive & Lemon Savoury Snack Crackers (Dairyfree, Eggfree & Vegan)
Olive & Lemon Savoury Snack Crackers (Dairyfree, Eggfree & Vegan)
- 75 g Dairy Free Baking Block or Vegan Butter (Very Cold & Cubed)
- 75 g Plain Flour
- 75 g Wholemeal bread flour
- 20 g Olives (chopped)
- Half Lemon (Zest)
- Salt & Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Pickling Liquid (from Pickled onions) (optional)
- 2-4 tbsp Water (Very Cold)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and sprinkle a baking tray with a little plain flour.
- Sift the flours together in a large bowl and stir in the salt & pepper.
- Next add the cubes of block margarine. Using your fingertips or a pastry cutter, rub the margarine into the flour. You don't want fine crumbs, you want some large-ish chunks left.
- Stir in the chopped olives and lemon zest.
- Mix the pickle juice (if using) with 2tbsp of the cold water and pour into the dough mix. Stir with a wooden spoon, you may need another tbsp or two, until a soft but not sticky dough forms.
- Wrap in cling film and leave in the fridge for 30mins.
- Next Roll out onto a lightly floured board about 4mm thick and cut into whatever shape or size you like (cooking times will vary slightly). I used a 3inch fluted round cutter and got 15 crackers.
- Spread out on a floured baking tray and bake for 12-15mins until lightly browned.
Pin Olive & Lemon Savoury Snack Crackers (Dairyfree, Eggfree & Vegan) for Later: