Glutenfree, Vegan Hazelnut Espresso Brownies
Dark, chewy, Vegan Espresso Brownies with a salty, sweet hazelnut topping. Packs a mighty punch thanks to a strong, shot of espresso. The perfect afternoon pick me up or in Millie’s words ‘the yummiest things in the whole wide world!’ AND they are dairyfree, eggfree & glutenfree too so no-one need miss out on brownies again!
Gluten Free, Vegan Espresso Brownies with Hazelnut Crunch
Ordinarily, I don’t really like chocolate brownies. They are just too sweet.
HOWEVER… these are right up my street.
Dark & bitter with a decent shot of strong coffee and a sweet, salty crunch from the hazelnut topping. They are absolutely amazing mid-afternoon with a sneaky espresso or as we are – snuggled up under a blanket watching Strictly. Everyone is shattered after a long week and after a bit of pottering around at No17 this afternoon, these have gone down rather well.
These Vegan Hazelnut Espresso Brownies are really easy to make, the hardest thing is leaving them to cool completely before cutting and decorating! The other big plus about these is if you have a desperate need for chocolate, you can skip the chocolate drizzle and they can be cupboard to cooked in 30minutes! And lets face it, in a chocolate emergency no-one will judge you for just eating them warm straight out of the tin!
These are a great basic brownie recipe that can be customised to your heart’s content. Swap the hazelnuts for cookies or replace the coffee with cinnamon, you can even scatter with frozen or dried fruit like cherries! I don’t usually mix anything in with the batter, instead scattering over the top, but you can mix the hazelnuts, chocolate chunks, dried fruit etc in! I should add I do use decaff coffee in these brownies so that they are ok for the Peachicks, as they are too young for caffeine and definitely do not need it!
Other Gluten free & Vegan Brownie Recipes
If its gluten free, vegan brownies you are after, don’t worry I have got you covered! Each of my brownie recipes are a slight variation around my Easy Gluten free Vegan Fudge Brownies.
My personal favourite are the Hazelnut Espresso Brownies (GF Vegan), these tiny treats pack a mighty coffee punch thanks to the espresso powder. They are definitely NOT one for the kids, they’ll be bouncing off the walls!
And if you are looking for something a little different, why not give my Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies a go! Perfect for using up those Halloween pumpkins and free from all Top 14 allergens!
Recipe for Vegan Espresso Brownies:
Vegan Espresso Brownies (Eggfree, Glutenfree, Soyfree)
- 100 g Dark Chocolate Melted
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup or Corn, Maple etc
- 50 g Dairyfree Margarine
- 50 g Brown Sugar
- 50 g Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Decaff Instant Coffee
- 3 tbsp Warm Water
- 100 g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 2 tbsp Ground flax or chia seeds
- 25 g Cocoa Powder
- 2 tbsp Vegetable or Sunflower Oil
- Handful of crushed hazelnuts mixed with pinch of salt & sugar
- Melted white & dark dairyfree chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan and line a square baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Dissolve the coffee granules in warm water and set aside to cool.
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over warm water. Take off the heat and stir in the golden syrup. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Using a hand mixer, beat together the sugars and margarine. Next pour in the cooled chocolate/syrup mix and beat again. Slowly pour in the coffee.
- In a clean bowl weigh together the dry ingredients. Stirring the ground seeds and cocoa powder into the flour.
- Carefully fold the dry ingredients mix into the wet ingredients. At this point you can stir in extra whole or crushed hazelnuts and some chocolate chunks too!
- Pour into the cake tin and sprinkle over the salty, sweet hazelnuts.
- Bake at 180C (fan) for 15mins. Leave to cool completely before slicing and decorating with melted dairyfree chocolate.
Pin Vegan Espresso Brownies with Hazelnut for Later:
Back at The Bakery
The last few weeks have, for one reason or another, been absolutely exhausting. So a change of scenery on Wednesday was most welcome – and what a change of scenery it was! I spent the day aboard the beautiful MSC Preziosa for #BlogCampOnBoard with a host of other bloggers, including most of the lovely ladies from the #freefromgang. Plus, I finally got to meet Monika from Everyday Healthy Recipes and Eb* from Easy Peasy Foodie. It was also great to connect with bloggers from different niches including the lovely cruise bloggers – Emma from Cruising isn’t just for old people and Sanna from Vegan Cruiser. I’m in the process of writing a post of this thoroughly enjoyable day so look out for it!!
*I feel at this point, I should apologise Eb for jumping tables at lunch when all the orange juice arrived but the orange juice arrived!
Subscribe & Never Miss A Recipe Again:
[email-subscribers namefield=”YES” desc=”” group=”Public”]