Vegan Chocolate Chip Courgette Cake
This light and fluffy Vegan Chocolate Chip Courgette Cake is filled with a decadent dairy free chocolate coconut cream. It’s sure to impress even the toughest of critics! Its a great flavour combination and a tasty way to use up a courgette (Zucchini) glut!
Courgette or Zucchini? Either way they make this cake look and taste amazing! The pretty sponge with its lovely green flecks and the decadent chocolate and coconut cream filling make this tasty cake a beautiful addition to any afternoon tea spread! Up at No17, we have had a massive crop of different courgettes this year. The Peachicks have been growing these yellow balloon shaped ones, which are very creamy and lovely thinly sliced raw in a salad. The long green courgettes are actually a variety from The Lost Gardens of Heligan. The plants have given us a mix of white and green squashes that can be picked tiny as snacks, small as courgettes and left to grow into marrows… absolutely HUGE marrows!!
This is hubby & The Peachicks with ‘Marlow Marrow’ enjoying our new seating area at No17!
Anyway, back to the cake…
The sponge has only a little icing sugar for sweetness, which you could swap for agave, sweet freedom or honey. However, coupled with the crusty sugar pearl topping and chocolate filling, you really don’t want the cake to have a lot of sweetness. Obviously you can adjust and add more to the sponge if you prefer but for me and my not-very-sweet tooth, the balance is perfect! I also added a hidden layer of fresh redcurrants just to add an extra bit of sourness… homemade rhubarb or plum jam also works really nicely in this cake!
With back to school looming, making this cake into a loaf and freezing individual slices gives you a rare double win – reducing waste by using up & storing courgette gluts AND having something tasty in the freezer for lunchboxes! Just take a piece out when needed, spread with favourite jam and gain valuable brownie points with the often hard to please little people!! What’s not to love?!
Top Tip: Courgettes make a really nice base for a vegan cheese sauce – remove the seeds before cooking and poach with onion and garlic until soft. Blitz with a stick blender and stir in some vegan cheese! Great with lasagne and pasta too!
Other Great Recipes for Baking with Vegetables:
Recipe for Vegan Chocolate Chip Courgette Cake:
Chocolate Chip Courgette Cake (Dairyfree, Vegan)
- 200 g Courgette/Zucchini grated
- Handful of vegan baking drops (Moo Free)
- 225 g Self raising flour
- 2 tbsp Icing sugar
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Chia seeds whole
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 200 ml Dairyfree milk (coconut, soy, almond)
For the Filling
- 1 small tin coconut cream
- 50 g Dairyfree or dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp Icing Sugar
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line a 20cm cake tin with greaseproof paper or silicon baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream the Vegetable Oil and Icing sugar together until it is pale and fluffy. Stir in the grated courgettes.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the self raising flour, chia seeds and cinnamon, before pouring into the creamed mixture.
- With the mixer on low or while stirring slowly, pour in the milk and fold until it forms a smooth batter. Be careful not to over mix at this point as you don't want the sponge to be rubbery!
- Finally carefully fold in the chocolate chips and pour into the cake tin. Sprinkle over pearl sugar, if using and then bake!
- Cook for around 45-50mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave it to cool completely, overnight in the fridge if possible before slicing and filling with the chocolate coconut cream!
For the Chocolate Coconut Cream:
- Melt the dark chocolate over a low heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Whip the chilled coconut cream and icing sugar together, using a stand mixer or hand whisk, until fluffy.
- While whisking, carefully pour in the melted chocolate. Fill the cake with the chocolate cream, put the kettle on and enjoy a large slice in the sunshine!
Pin Vegan Chocolate Chip Courgette Cake