Eggfree Easter: Spiced Carrot Cake (Vegan, Soyfree)
Easter is full of yummy dairy filled treats, there is cake, biscuits & chocolate everywhere you look. Second only to Christmas, Easter is possibly the hardest time of year if you suffer from dairy, egg and/or soy allergies. But have no fear because I give you my Eggfree Easter Spiced Carrot Cake, filled with a vegan vanilla buttercream. Complete with a cute fondant carrot garden it is the perfect centre piece to any Easter celebration!
This Easter holidays is turning out to be an interesting one. Today Elodie and I made this cake while Millie went on a play date with one of her oldest friends. Alys has been wiped out by hayfever and spent the day chilling out on the sofa. While we were making the cake, I got an email saying that next Tuesday we will find out where Elodie will go to school! I am not ready for it, not ready to lose my last baby to school. Although I am definitely done with babies in this house and am looking forward to the next bit of them growing up! (We’ll skip over Alys’ proximity to teen-hood!) Elodie was going to make a couple of carrots for the cake but instead decided the fondant was better off in her tummy! (I honestly don’t know how she eats the stuff in chunks like that!)
This recipe is for one 6inch Eggfree Easter Spiced Carrot Cake. The sponge is then sliced into 3 and layered with a vanilla buttercream or cream cheese frosting. It is perfect for a small family gathering or as part of a dessert table at a larger celebration. You can decorate it with whatever you like, there are loads of Easter themed sugar paste decorations around if you don’t want to make your own. You could also cover it with fondant and make more of a centre piece!
The carrot keeps this sponge moist and the small amount of plain flour means the cake is quite flat when baked. The texture is almost like a fruit loaf but no so heavy or squidgy. The other great thing about this cake is that by keeping the amount of sugar in the cake down and adding the spicy orange syrup stops it being too sweet when filled. I don’t know about you but I don’t really have a sweet tooth so to be honest there is enough sweet things around at Easter
*Model Credit: The One & Only MR BUNNY – He is Millie Moo’s – He is ‘that toy’ you know the one you daren’t take out the house in case he does a runner!
Recipe for Eggfree Easter Spiced Carrot Cake:
This recipe makes one 6inch sponge that serves 6-8 people, depending on how big you make the slices!
Eggfree Easter Spiced Carrot Cake (Vegan, Soyfree)
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Line a tall 6 inch round cake tin with bake-o-glide or greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the vegetable oil, sugar and Choc Shot. Stir in the grated carrots and set aside.
- In another bowl, weigh out the plain flour, self raising flour and ground chia seeds. Stir together and add the sultanas.
- Gently fold the dry ingredient mix into the oil and sugar mixture while slowly pouring in the dairyfree milk. The batter will be fairly loose but not runny.
- Pour into the cake tin. Bake on the middle shelf for 45mins at 160C.
- Set aside to cool completely. When cool slice into 3 layers. Fill with your choice of buttercream or cream cheese frosting and decorate with Easter sugarpaste decorations.
Pin Eggfree Easter Spiced Carrot Cake for Later: