Vegan Lemon & Raspberry Cake (Dairy free, Egg free)
Vegan Lemon & Raspberry Cake, perfect for an elegant birthday tea! Zesty lemon cake with jammy pockets of raspberries layered with luscious lemon buttercream.
Dairy free, egg free, nut free & easy to adapt to gluten-free too.
This weekend just gone it was my birthday! (I do love a birthday) I spent a very lovely day cooking a roast for everyone (we will gloss over the Brussels Sprout wrestling) and obviously there had to be cake!
I’ll be honest as much as I love coffee cake or a spicy carrot cake; lemon has to be my favourite. And lets face it – it is a classic!
This Vegan Lemon & Raspberry Cake was the perfect combination of zesty lemon, sharp raspberries and sweet buttercream. And the perfect end to a stunning roast dinner, including my lovely Vegan Yorkshire Puddings.
I have even made two, one which we demolished on my birthday and this amazing masterpiece for work. I reckon it will all be gone by about 1030am!!
The frozen raspberries are baked into the batter to give a beautiful sharp contrast to the zesty lemon sponge. They also mean you also get little pockets of jammy raspberry through the cake. And with the addition of the fresh raspberries on top… OH SO GOOD!! I’m pretty sure the only thing that would have made it better is some dairyfree white chocolate shavings over the top.
Ok the buttercream. I use ready made because dairyfree buttercream can be unstable and liable to split. Plus it saves a fair bit of time!
But. Check the labels. A lot of them (Waitrose, Sainsburys, Asda) contain milk as an ingredient. The Dr Oetker ones don’t & neither do the Betty Crocker ones. Both contain warnings for ‘may contain milk ingredients’. I use Betty Crocker because it has the best consistency.
If you avoid may contains and want to make your own buttercream – then an adapted version of the Dairyfree White Chocolate Buttercream out the middle of this Vegan Bailey’s Cake would be incredible! Just leave out the coffee, whiskey and cocoa powder and add the zest of another lemon instead.
Pin Vegan Lemon & Raspberry Cake for Later:
Other lovely Peachicks’ Bakery Lemon recipes:
Vegan Lemon Drizzle Cake – a good option for when you just want a quick fix of lemon cake
Lemon & Raspberry Vegan Scones – Something a bit different for afternoon tea!
Glutenfree, Vegan Lemon & Elderflower Mini Cakes – For an elegant party
Vegan Lemon & Blueberry Muffins – A great zesty breakfast option!
Olive & Lemon Snack Crackers – if you prefer a savoury lemon recipe
Recipe for Vegan Lemon & Raspberry Cake
Vegan Lemon & Raspberry Cake
- 200 g Raspberries
- 2 tubs Lemon Buttercream (Betty Crocker)
- Preheat the oven to 160C and line three 7inch cake tins. I greased then floured the tins or you can line with greaseproof paper.
- Cream the margarine, vegetable oil and sugar together with the lemon zest and whole chia seeds.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a measuring jug and make up to 400ml with the dairyfree milk.
- Weigh out the flour and fold into the creamed mixture while drizzling in the lemon & milk.
- Divide the batter equally into the tins and sprinkle over the crushed frozen raspberries. Gently swirl into the batter.
- Bake on the middle shelf for between 25-28minutes. You will want to check the cakes after about 20minutes and then every couple of minutes after that.
- When completely cool, layer with buttercream and leave to set. Once the filling has set, cover the sides and top of the cake with a thin layer of buttercream. Pipe on roses and & decorate with fresh raspberries.