Vegan Apple & Date Muffins (Egg Free & Gluten Free)
Dairy Free, Vegan Apple & Date Muffins great for picnics or mid afternoon pick me ups alike! Soft, spicy muffins full of juicy apple chunks and chewy date pieces all topped off with pretty apple slices. Lovely with added hazelnuts for crunch or your favourite seed mix to keep them nut free. The recipe also works perfectly with Gluten free Flours so no-one need miss out!
Its that time of year when most of our meals are eaten either out and about on another adventure or between weeding & planting at the allotment. With all the fresh air & sunshine The Peas, are on the go all the time.
AND eating non-stop too!
I swear if they stand still long enough at the moment you can actually see them growing taller!!
Of course all that growing require constant feeding & the temptation is to just grab the nearest thing and throw it at them. And while that usually involves a packet of cream crackers, I do prefer them to have something a little more packed with nutrients. Which is where my freezer stash of muffins comes in handy, although if you are going to freeze these do a batch without the apple slices on top.
I generally make muffins with a whole grain flour, like the Free From Fairy Flour. Then load them with all sorts of protein, vitamins and minerals from the apples, dates and crunchy seed mix. They are also just as good with wheat flour or for a more budget friendly option, half Fairy Flour & half gluten free flour. If you don’t need a gluten free option then using half Free From Fairy Flour and half normal self raising works really well too – gives the loaf a lovely nutty flavour, but without the nuts! I also substitute the sugar with coconut sugar as you can get a better flavour using a lot less of it! Also worth remembering that if you use a fortified milk, the small people will be getting a little added calcium and vitamin D. Which for a dairy free small person is always a bonus!
I always try & make a double batch so that at least a couple of muffins make it to the freezer stash for lunchboxes, but you never know with The Peas around if that will actually happen! The best thing about muffins is that they are infinitely customisable around the basic recipe. So if you don’t like the idea of seeds but nuts are not a concern, then you can just switch for your favourites, hazelnuts or walnuts would work really well in these! I have just made an apple & apricot version, switching the sugar out for apricot jam & adding chopped apricots… SOOOOO GOOD!!
Or for more grab and go snack ideas check out these great muffin recipes using the seasons best! Your breakfast muffins need never be boring again!
You may have noticed its been a while since there was a new recipe on here, in fact I think there has only been one in the last couple of months. If you have been following my Insta account then you will have seen that this year’s pollen season has not been particularly kind to my lungs. Happily, after a week away in Cornwall, the sea breeze seems to have calmed them down a little & (hopefully) I can get back to being a fully functioning member of society! You never know you may even get a few recipes & a blog post about our time away. If you check out my facebook page, there is a few posts over there from our adventures – & a few exciting dairy free finds!
Pin Vegan Apple & Date Muffins for later:
Recipe for Vegan Apple & Date Muffins:
Apple & Date Muffins (Dairy & Egg Free, Vegan)
- 150 g Self Raising Flour Wheat Flour or Gluten Free *
- 1 tsp Ground Chia Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 Apples
- 25 g Dates
- 50 g Coconut Sugar
- 2.5 tbsp Mixed Seeds
- 150 ml Dairyfree Milk*
- 75 ml Vegetable Oil
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line a 6-hole muffin tin with cases.
- Dice 1 of the apples into small cubes and finely slice the other one so you get pretty apple slices with the star in the middle. Set aside the slices for decoration.
- Next roughly chop the dates and add to a small bowl with the apple chunks & a tablespoon of flour.
- Into a large mixing bowl weigh out the flour and whisk in the ground chia seeds, ground spices and coconut sugar.
- Next stir through the seed mix, apple chunks and chopped dates.
- In a measuring jug, measure out the dairyfree milk & vegetable oil.
- Slowly pour the Liquid Ingredients into the dry and stir until just mixed.
- Divide into the 6 cases and gently push an apple slice onto the top of each muffin. Add a light sprinkle of sugar and pop in the oven.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. (Just double check you haven't skewered a piece of fig and thats why its gooey!)
- 1tsp Chia Seeds
- 1tsp Poppy Seeds
- 1tbsp Sunflower Seeds
- 1tbsp Pumpkin Seeds