Creamy Cheesy Vegan Potato & Kale Spring Salad with Tesco.
Creamy Cheesy Vegan Potato & Kale Spring Salad is the perfect way to banish those winter blues and is full of immune boosting vitamins to keep the bugs away! With beautiful seasonal Kale, red onions & asparagus perfectly complimenting Tesco’s delicious Cypriot New Potatoes; this is a great stand alone salad*. It is delicious warm and even better cold the day after. It also makes a great side dish and instructions on cooking with fish are included in the recipe notes. This dish is freefrom most of the Top14 allergens as its freefrom dairy, eggs & soy as well as gluten (check cornichon ingredients for barley in vinegar) thanks to a few handy freefrom swaps – also available at Tesco!
*Being from Hampshire I would make this with our beautiful local watercress in the summer, but kale makes a brilliant seasonal alternative! *
The star of this dish is the Cypriot New Potatoes (750g for £1.25) available now until end of March in Tesco. They are of the ‘spunta’ variety and apparently their colour comes from the red soil they grow in! They definitely got a big thumbs up from our resident potato connoisseur, Millie who thinks they were ‘very yummy’. They have paper thin skins so need no prep, other than a quick rinse, which is great after a looooooong day at work! I really liked that they had a lovely creamy texture but were able to hold their shape & skins on while cooking. We were lucky enough to be sent a voucher for the ingredients but the recipe is all the middle Peachicks’ own – with a little help from me!
The yoghurt dressing is a dairy & soya free take on a traditional tzatziki sauce. It is made with coconut milk (Koko Dairyfree Plain Youghurt) and is full of lovely Mediterranean flavours. Ingredients include grated cucumber, finely chopped olives and salty vegan Parmesan (violife prosociano). It can be made in a big batch and kept for in the fridge for the rest of the week. It is perfect for filling jacket potatoes or dunking crunchy veggie sticks in! (The dressing does separate slightly overnight but straining the yoghurt before using or just giving it a quick stir soon sorts it out!)
For me February is a the lull after a busy few months. We’ve had Christmas, New Year and then my birthday. It is also the month that mid-winter starts to turn ever so slowly into Spring. New shoots are coming up in the garden as the daffodils fight their way up through last years leaves I haven’t cleared away yet. And The last few days I have even managed to leave the house in almost daylight! If your commute, like mine, includes driving East on the M27 past the airport this means glorious sunrises that could almost be over a Mediterranean beach somewhere! This salad is another little promise of the return of spring with all its vibrant green kale & asparagus and delicate yellow potatoes.
Recipe: Creamy Cheesy Vegan Potato & Kale Spring Salad
Creamy Cheesy Vegan Potato & Kale Spring Salad
- 750 g Cypriot New Potatoes
- 1 Rosemary Stalk
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 bunch Asparagus
- Half Bag Kale or Black Kale
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Red Onion Halved & Finely Sliced
For the Vegan Tzatziki
- half Cucumber deseeded
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup Dairyfree Yoghurt
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Cornichon
- 3 Olives
- 1-2 tbsp Violife Vegan Parmesan Alternative
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- Into a sieve, grate the cucumber. Sprinkle over a little salt and set aside for 20mins. Then squeeze out the excess water from the cucumber. Into a bowl add the yoghurt, lemon zest, garlic powder, grated cucumber, olives and cornichon. Stir before adding the Vegan Parmesan. Season with salt & pepper to taste. This will keep in an airtight container for a few days, ready for dunking veggies in or filling jacket potatoes but will need a stir every now and again to recombine it!
- Cook the potatoes by placing in a deep non stick frying pan or saucepan. Add just enough water to cover them, the whole rosemary stalk and bring to boil. Turn the heat down to medium, somewhere between a fast boil and simmer. Cook uncovered - keeping an eye on the water, adding more as necessary.
- While the potatoes cook, prepare the veggies. Wash the kale and press between two tea towels to dry. Finely slice the red onion. Next chop the asparagus into 2 inch chunks - set aside the tips.
- After 20mins of cooking the potatoes, add the chunks of asparagus stalks (not the tips) to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes. *The Peachicks like the stalks cooked a little longer for around 10minutes so they mush into the sauce but its nicer if you leave them a bit firmer!*
- Drain the potatoes and Asparagus stalks into a colander when the potatoes are fork tender - about 25minutes. Stir a few tbsp of the vegan tzatziki through the potatoes & asparagus while still warm, cover and set aside. Add more or less tzatziki depending on how covered you want your potatoes to be. The Peachicks' like less covered, Daddy Peacock likes more (I think I deserve a medal sometimes!)
- Into the pan add some Olive oil. Throw in the kale and asparagus tips. Squeeze over the lemon juice, add a pinch of black pepper, cover and steam for a couple of minutes - no more!
- Pile the Kale & Asparagus onto a plate, sprinkle over the red onion and then arrange the warm potato salad over the top!
For a summer variation:Use a bed of fresh crunchy watercress and lightly grilled sweetcorn instead of Kale.
For a fishy Valentines Dinner for Two:Cut the potatoes into slices and arrange on a greased sheet of baking paper. Next sprinkle over some grated garlic or garlic powder & black pepper. Pile the asparagus stalks on the potatoes and then cover by laying the whole trout on top, squeeze over some lemon juice before wrapping into a parcel and baking for 25minutes until the fish is cooked through and the potatoes are tender. Continue with the recipe as before, stirring the dressing through the potatoes and cooking the kale & asparagus tips separately. Serve on one large plate with extra dollops of dressing, two forks and enjoy a romantic dinner for two!
We love a good linky here at The Peachicks’ Bakery so hop over and check out everywhere this Creamy Cheesy Vegan Potato & Kale Spring Salad has been linked – and maybe you’ll discover some other fab recipes too!
Pin for Later:
*We were sent a voucher from Tesco to buy ingredients for this recipe but as with everything else on this site all opinions etc are our own – Trust me its easier just not to argue with a Peachick & their opinions!!*