Dairy Free Onion Sauce
Dairy Free Onion Sauce a delicious, creamy side dish to go with any Sunday roast. Equally great with a Roast Chicken or Vegan roast. Easy to make with only a few ingredients. All you need are onions, dairy free cream and cornflour. Its even better cold in sandwiches the next day! Gluten Free, Vegan and suitable for coeliacs.
This Dairy Free Onion Sauce is a Daddy Peacock special, is very easy to cook and is delicious with all roast meats. It is a staple of our weekly roasts and definitely takes a starring role in Christmas Dinner. Although we usually have it with chicken, my favourite way of eating it is poured over mashed swede & carrot swimming in gravy. Its also really good as the base sauce for a vegan pie or lasagna.
It is made with Oat Cream but also works well with any Dairy Free cream. Coconut cream adds a little coconut flavour to the sauce and Hazelnut milk adds a beautiful nutty undertone which is lovely with pork. The Peachicks prefer it made with red onions as it tints the onion sauce a slightly pinkish colour and a very large pinch of black pepper. For a white coloured sauce (that is great in lasagne) use a normal onion and to ramp up the allium flavour even more by stirring in a teaspoon of garlic powder.
Pin Dairy Free Onion Sauce for later:
Recipe for Dairy Free Onion Sauce
Dairy Free Onion Sauce
- 1 Onion
- 250 ml Dairy Free Cream (Oat, Soya, Coconut)
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- First chop onion into thin ribbons or small dice and add to pan with olive oil. Cook until soft.
- Pour in the dairy free cream and turn the heat to low. In a little bowl mix the cornflour with enough of the liquid from the pan to make a smooth paste. A couple of tablespoons of liquid is usually enough.
- Add the paste to the pan and stir into sauce. It shouldn't take long to thicken the sauce but the cornflour will need cooking for a few minutes otherwise your sauce with be all floury when you taste it and that's just not nice!
- Add salt and pepper to taste. We like lots of pepper and very little salt!In the unlikely event there is any sauce left Daddy Peacock recommends it cold in a roast meat leftover sandwich. Apparently it's his favourite part of being at work on a Monday!