Peachicks @No17: Glutenfree Veggie Fritter (Eggfree, Vegan)
My Glutenfree Veggie Fritters are easy to prepare with just 3 ingredients: Veggies, Water & Flour! A speedy midweek meal, vegan starter or allotment lunch! And best of all, when you are short on time during the week you can just make them with mixed frozen veggies!
Who said eating your veggies needed to be boring! These pretty little veggie fritters are completely customisable. Using up whatever veggies are lurking in the fridge or is to hand up on the allotment. With only 3 ingredients (yes I’m counting veggies as 1!) and taking less than 10 minutes to whip up on a portable gas stove, they are a great for a quick lunch when starvation strikes up on the allotment! We keep a stock of glutenfree flour in a sealed plastic container in the shed along with a non-stick frying pan and add whatever veggies are in season!
These Veggie Fritters definitely make it easy to eat your veggies. The Peachicks love dunking them warm into sweet chilli sauce but I’m sure they would be equally nice in ketchup, hummus or vegan mayo! Although the standard recipe has a plain batter, you can switch it up by adding salt, pepper, garlic powder, curry powder, ginger, herbs – the list is endless! The Peachicks have requested a cheese version & I am thinking of adding grated violife pizza cheese or prosociano to the batter with some rosemary and black pepper.
Speaking of No17, we’ve just had our end of season bbq up there. Sunday afternoon was beautiful down here so we packed up & spent the afternoon grilling veggies and eating, sat in the sunshine! You can read all about the goodies Daddy P has used to stock his Perfect Shed Kitchen with! I also whipped up a batch of my Vegan Hazelnut Espresso Brownies to go with them which are also Glutenfree and ridiculously easy to make!
We have been reducing the amount of wheat we eat as I am finding more and more that I am being poorly after eating it, The Peachicks are complaining of stomach aches afterwards too. I haven’t cut it out completely but it is definitely something to discuss with the Immunologist this week. There is a train of thought with the GP that potentially wheat is making reactions to milk a lot more frequent and unpredictable than they should be. It means investing in a stock of our favourite FreeFromFairy Wholegrain Glutenfree Flour as none of us are good with a lot of rice, it seems to be an eczema trigger for Elodie & I. Plus I don’t like feeding the girls a lot of it due to the Arsenic content. For most things though I do use ‘normal’ glutenfree flour, as we are on a tight budget. My favourite is the Sainsbury’s own brand, closely followed by Doves Farm. I am not overly keen on the Asda one, but it does the job!
Recipe for Glutenfree Veggie Fritters:
Glutenfree Veggie Fritters (Eggfree, Vegan)
- 175 g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 250 ml Water (225-250ml)
- 200 g Mixed Veggies** Chopped
- Seasonings (Pepper, Herbs, Garlic Powder)
- Mix the glutenfree flour and water together to make a thin batter. Add in any spices, herbs or seasoning.
- Next finely slice the veggies you want to add to the fritters. Then stir these into the batter mixture.
- To cook, heat a non-stick pan over a medium-high heat. If you want crispy fritters you can shallow or deep fry in oil but at the allotment on a camping stove we stick to a light dusting of cooking spray.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture around the frying pan and allow to cook for a few minutes on one side. Flip when the top batter is set and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve warm with a dipping sauce of your choosing!