Easy Dairy Free Sausage Rolls with Onion Chutney
Easy Dairy Free Sausage Rolls with Onion Chutney. Basic recipe is just 3 ingredients, ready to roll puff pastry, onion chutney and sausagemeat. Jazz them up any way you like with some simple extra ingredients and they will be you go-to recipe for every occasion! Perfect for picnics, parties or Peachick lunches too!
The reason for feeding everyone these is that they are unbelievably quick & easy to make. use 3 ingredients as a basic recipe and the ways to personalise these is endless! I love adding chopped apple, dried cranberries, grated onion and fresh sage leaves from the garden to the sausagemeat for flavouring but really anything works!
Adding an egg to the mixture will help bind it but as we can’t do that we find that blitzing together in a food processor for a few seconds is usually enough to do the same job! Another firm Peachick favourite and even easier & speedier to make are these Apple & Sage Sausage Rolls made with frozen sausages, apple sauce, sage leaves and ready roll pastry!
Here are some large ones that I made for lunchboxes…
For kids (big & small) we love the idea of hiding veggies in the sausagemeat – so these Hidden Veggie Sausage Rolls from My Fussy Eater are right up our street and will definitely be going in school lunchboxes soon! Where the recipe calls for brushing with beaten egg we use Koko Dairy Free and then sprinkle over the sesame seeds!
The Christmas 2017 version with mustard…
And to cover all guests there are some really lovely looking vegan/vegetarian alternatives around on the web! Jamie Oliver’s Mushroom Rolls use chestnut mushrooms which we absolutely love using as they make a fab meat alternative! These Veggie Sausage Rolls from Emily’s Recipes & Reviews look amazing and are packed with veggies and smoked cheese – although contain both dairy & eggs so aren’t suitable for those with allergies or vegans!
Recipe for Easy Peasy Dairyfree Pop-in Sausage Rolls with Onion Chutney
Easy Peasy Dairy Free Pop-in Sausage Rolls with Onion Chutney
- 500 g Ready Made Puff Pastry Asda Free from, Jus Rol GF and/or ones
- 500 g Sausagemeat
- 1 Jar Onion Chutney
- *plus whatever dried fruit herbs, cheese you want to add!
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Roll out the pastry fairly thinly into a lovely rectangle... or as I did into an odd sort of almost rectangle if you squint at it shape and trim with a pizza cutter!
- Next cover the pastry with the onion chutney or your chosen jelly/sauce/relish - leftover cranberry sauce works well! (I went on to make a second batch of these and managed to completely contaminate the onion chutney with raw sausagemeat by getting confused by which cutlery I had used for what... colour co-ordinated spoons for me for my birthday then!!)
- Using your hands shape some of the sausagemeat into a sausage almost as long as the pastry and a quarter of the width. Place it just to one side of the pastry (see pic above!). (I REALLY do not like this bit so I always have a bowl of hot soapy water ready to wash my hands in immediately. Although this is probably advisable anyway when working with raw meat!)
- Then roll the sausagemeat & pastry over to form the sausage roll. Press down the edges firmly - you can also crimp the edge if you want! Repeat until you have used all the pastry!
- Then place in the fridge to chill for about 20mins before using a serrated/bread knife to slice into individual sausage rolls.
- And Bake for about 25mins at 180C or until the pastry is golden and puffy AND definitely not soggy on the bottom! I challenge you not to eat these while they are hot!!
Pin Easy Dairyfree Pop-in Sausage Rolls for Later:
As these are so easy to make and can be made ahead they are perfect for New Year’s Eve nibbles with friends & family so I’m adding these to the #FoodYearLinkup over at Charlottes Lively Kitchen! I have just discovered this site and I am already hooked, definitely go and check out the decorated cakes and sweet treats on there!!