Vegan Red Onion & Chilli Cheese Scones #FreeFromPicnics
May is the month of the #FreefromPicnics challenge and for my contribution I give you these Dairy free, Vegan Red Onion & Chilli Cheese Scones. Lovely soft, fluffy scones with a delicate cheese flavour and a gentle warmth from the chilli flakes!
Another month (how is it May already?!) and we have another Freefrom treat for you lovely people! From the gang of lovelies that bought you #FreefromPancakes and #FreefromEaster, I give you #FreeFromPicnics! Honestly the recipes are just so stunning – you will want to pack up a hamper, blanket and hit the open road in search of the perfect picnic spot immediately! And Whatever the weather these fluffy little scones have got you covered as they are absolutely delicious filled with cold meat (or roasted veggies) and chutney but equally amazing warm and dunked in soup!
Honestly I don’t think there is a time of year that we don’t have picnics, maybe its growing up on the doorstep of the New Forest? I’m not sure but I have always loved just packing up a hamper and setting off in search of the perfect spot! For me there is nothing more calming* than sitting in the fresh air, surrounded by nature and sharing lovely homemade treats with hubby and the Peachicks.
*Unless it is on a beach… in which case forget it… I actually can’t think of anywhere worse to eat… that feeling of grit between your teeth as you bite into a sand filled sandwich… YUK! Picnics that involve beaches are always had in the car after considerable hand washing and extensive de-sanding process!
When you have small people that don’t particularly like sandwiches you have to be a little inventive – if that sounds like your house then you need these little scones in your life! Especially as they already have the flavouring inside so you don’t need to fill them! So no more escaped sandwich filling, no more associated moaning/grizzling and definitely no more inevitable taking mummy’s lunch because mine is on the floor! YAY! wins all round!
AND the best thing is, this is a basic recipe so you can experiment with flavour combinations. If you need a little nudge in the right direction, check out our scone recipe index here for more inspiration!
Recipe for Vegan Red Onion & Chilli Cheese Scones:
Vegan Red Onion & Chilli Cheese Scones
- 8 oz Self Raising Flour
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 oz Dairyfree margarine (Vitalite, Pure, Stork Baking Block)
- 1 tbsp Granulated sugar
- 1/4 red onion (finely Diced)
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 oz Grated Vegan Cheese
- 1/4 Pint Dairyfree Milk Alternative (Koko dairyfree)
- I cook scones on a preheated pizza stone in a fan oven at 200C but a floured baking tray will work just as well – they may just need a few extra minutes.
- Weigh the flour into a mixing bowl, add the dairy free margarine and salt before rubbing together with your fingertips until you have a breadcrumb like mixture.
- Stir in the sugar, grated cheese, chilli flakes and finely diced red onion.
- In a separate jug measure out the dairy free milk and add to the dry ingredients. Now for the messy bit – either use a spoon or you hands – its up to you! Gently stir together all the ingredients until a soft dough is formed. Turn out onto a floured board and gently knead in more flour if its very sticky. The less you handle the dough the fluffier the scones will be!
- Roll or squash the dough flat and using a floured round cutter, cut out the scones and spread out on the floured baking tray.
- Bake for 20-25mins until golden brown.
Pin Vegan Red Onion & Chilli Cheese Scones for Later:
For More #FreeFromPicnic Treats Check out:
Kate – Gluten Free Alchemist – Trio of Mini Picnic Pies
Jo – Modern Food Stories – Rainbow Salad Jar
Emma – Free From Farmhouse – 7 Layer Dip (Vegan & Glutenfree)
Nathalie – Intolerant Gourmand – Rainbow Fruit Salad
Laura – Dairy Free Kids – Egg Muffin Cups
Rebecca – Glutarama – Scotch Eggs (Glutenfree & Eggfree)
And coming soon….
Chloe – The Adventures of an Allergy Mummy
Mandy – Sneaky Veg
Mel – Le Coin de Mel
Vicki – Free From Fairy
Linky Love for Vegan Red Onion & Chilli Cheese Scones: