Guest Peachick Post: Coconut and Lime Birthday Scones!
In honour of the crazy birthday months that are August & September in this house, enjoy a Guest Peachick Post… Here’s Alys’ Vegan Coconut & Lime Scones!
Hi it’s Alys again!
Today I’m making birthday scones to go with Nanny’s home made jam! I’m making them because it’s my Grumps’ birthday. Grumps helped me make them! The scones are coconut lime flavour with dried fruit inside.
I asked Grumps if he wanted to make them circles or stars. He chose stars so that’s what we made.
Mummy Peacock says… these scones are light and fluffy and really lovely served warm with jam (we had some of Nanny’s homemade jam left) for afternoon tea. We had them with a nice hot cup of tea to celebrate Grumps’ birthday (also mine and Daddy Peacock’s wedding anniversary!) and they didn’t last long!
Recipe for Alys’ Vegan Coconut & Lime Scones
Alys' Vegan Coconut & Lime Scones
- Firstly we weighed the flour, then rubbed in the butter with our fingertips.
- Then we poured in the sugar. After that we put some dried fruit in. The dried fruit I used was cranberries, raisins and chopped up dates.
- Next we made a well in the middle and poured in a small pot of coconut natural yoghurt and some coconut milk.
- (Mummy Peacock says… you might need to add more Koko milk to the mixture if the dough is dry – add a tablespoon at a time until the dough is soft but not sticky!)
- We used my new spatula (birthday present from Nanny & Grumpto stir it and make a soft dough.
- We put the dough on a board (mummy had floured it first!) and splatted it gently with our hands (about an inch-ish thick).
- Then we used my new star cutter to cut it into star shapes.
- I put them on a baking tray, brushed them with a bit of coconut milk and sprinkled over some sugar!
- They baked for 15-2omins at 200C and were yummy with Nanny’s home-made jam on top!
Alys’ top tips for perfect scones:
- Dip the cutter in flour before cutting the dough,
- NO Wiggling the cutter – just press it down into the dough,
- Push the dough out of the cutter – don’t bash it on the side!
Pin Alys’ Vegan Coconut & Lime Scones for Later:
Me and my Grumps cooking…
… Mummy says she was very impressed with our scone making production line!