Vegan Cheese & Chive Scones (Dairyfree, Soyfree)
Scones. Those little light, fluffy rounds come in all flavours both sweet and savoury. I did at one point think about renaming this site to The Peachicks’ Sconery as there are so many different recipes for them on here! Most people will be familiar with those sweet or fruit filled ones but have you ever tried a Savoury scone? Yum! These Vegan Cheese & Chive Scones are great with slow cooker stews or even better a nice hot bowl of my Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup. The recipe for the Vegan Butternut Squash Soup is over on The Adventures of Mummy and Me as part of their #freefromfamilies series. Hop over and check it out and say hi to Tina too!
These Vegan Cheese & Chive Scones are flavoured with Violife Prosociano (a vegan Parmesan alternative) which is great as it completely disappears into the scones leaving them beautifully light and fluffy. The garlic powder adds to the fresh chives but could be replaced with mustard powder or left out altogether if allergic to either! Apparently these are the first vegan cheese scones I have made that really taste like they have proper cheese in. This is from the one and only resident dairy expert in this house! To be honest I dont care about any of that – the pretty green of the chives against the colour of the scones just makes me happy!
I have always found scones a good way to get extra calcium into the Peachicks. It might only be a tiny bit in each but with kids that wont drink milk or have it on their cereals every little helps! Now all I need is to find soyfree, vegan cheese with added calcium to make these an even better sneaky source of it!
I do love scones, everyone is different but all lovely little fluffy bundles! Elodie really enjoyed making these, squashing the dough down and cutting out into various different circle-type shapes! For a more elegant affair, you can brush the tops with more milk alternative and sprinkle over some extra vegan parmesan!
Recipe for Vegan Cheese & Chive Scones
Vegan Cheese & Chive Scones
- 8 oz Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 oz Dairyfree margarine (Vitalite, Pure etc)
- 2 tbsp Finely Chopped Chives
- 2 tbsp Grated Vegan Cheese (Violife Prosociano
- 1/4 Pint Dairyfree Milk Alternative (Koko dairyfree)
- I cook scones on a preheated pizza stone in a fan oven at 200C but a floured baking tray will work just as well – they may just need a few extra minutes.
- Weigh the flour into a mixing bowl and stir in the garlic powder. Add the dairy free margarine to the flour mixture and rub together with your fingertips until you have a breadcrumb like mixture. Stir in the chopped chives and vegan cheese.
- In a separate jug measure out the dairy free milk and add to the dry ingredients. Now for the messy bit – either use a spoon or you hands – its up to you! Gently stir together all the ingredients until a soft dough is formed. Turn out onto a floured board and gently knead in more flour if its very sticky.
- Roll or squash the dough flat and using a floured straight sided knife cut the dough circle into 6 triangles. Cut through the dough but don't separate the individual scones. I roll the dough out to about an inch and a half thick.
- Spread out on a floured baking tray and bake for 20-25mins until golden brown.
Pin Vegan Cheese & Chive Scones For Later: