Vegan Cheese & Tomato Scones
These Cheese & Tomato Scones are inspired by the colours and textures of Autumn. Beautiful flecks of fresh herbs & tomatoes run through the vibrant orange biscuit. Toppped with a scattering of crispy cheese and with a subtle smoky flavour from the chilli flakes. It’s a sunny, Autumnal walk through the fallen leaves in one delicious mouthful!
Recipe makes 5 giant scones, great for dunking in soup or using as a wrapper for your favourite sandwich filling. Either way they are definitely best eaten warm so the cheese is still oozy!
Use whichever cheese you like, #dairyfree, #vegan or otherwise, they all work just as well!
Yep, more scones!
And yes more dairyfree cheese scones!
These are inspired by an all time Peachick favourite meal – PIZZA!
Full of lovely pizza flavours but in a SCONE!
And best of all the beautiful orange colour comes from the tomato passata, so is completely natural. I tend to use a rustic passata which isn’t completely smooth as you end up with lovely little flecks of tomato skin through the dough. But a smooth one will still make fab scones! The other thing that looks really nice, is all that drippy oozy cheese hanging out the side of the scones and light sprinkling of smoked chilli flakes over the top. You see drippy cheese and it just screams Autumn Warming Comfort food!
These scones are perfect for lunchboxes, Hubby has even been known to use them as a bread for his bacon sandwich on a Saturday morning. They are absolutley delicious and can be made with whatever cheese you like. If you were choosing to use a cows milk cheese I would recommend a mature one. Goats cheese would also work well. You can also use whatever milk you want, but to be honest I am not entirely convinced a strong flavoured milk like nut or soya based one would work from a flavour point.
The other great thing about these scones is that you can literally add anything to it. Especially those wilted spring onions you bought for salad before the weather became decidedly un-salad like! Or finely diced sweet peppers. Oooh pickled onions are AMAZING in this too!
On the homefront – life is… well to be honest I am not really sure, we have all been so ill for the last few weeks that life has been a little bit on hold! Aside from scrubbing the house and going to work, not a lot has happened! I’ve not even really been up to No17. Its a bit of a shame because we’ve not been able to enjoy the end of the warm-ish sunshine. Fingers crossed though we all seem to be on the mend and I’m looking forward to a week with The Peas – AND making 101 pumpkin based recipes!! We currently have FIVE in the kitchen, TWO at the allotment, ONE on the dining room table AND we are going pumpkin picking too!
Recipe for Vegan Cheese & Tomato Scones
Cheese & Tomato Scones (Dairyfree, Eggfree Soyfree)
- Preheat the oven to 200C Fan and lightly flour a baking sheet.
- Into a large mixing bowl, weigh out the self raising flour and diced baking block. Using your fingers or pastry cutter, rub together the flour and fat to make crumbs.
- Season the flour mixture with the smoked chilli flakes, salt, pepper and herbs. Weigh in the grated cheese and then stir gently to combine.
- In a measuring jug, pour the passata, vinegar, mustard and dairyfree milk. Stir together until the mustard has mixed in.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in while stirring with a knife. You may need to add another tablespoon of water. Mix until just combined, the dough should be fairly soft, and tip out onto a floured work surface.
- With floured hands gently shape into a round a few inches thick. Take a cutter, dip in flour and push straight down into the dough.
- Arrange onto the baking sheet and cook for 25minutes.
Pin for Later: